Monday, August 1, 2011

My friend TED

Do you know TED?


TED Talks are these amazing videos that are educational, inspiring, funny and/or mind blowing. Each presenter is challenged to give the talk of his life. In under 18 minutes. The goal is to spread ideas. The talks can be reposted and shared. As a teacher I love the whole concept of great ideas that are well presented in brief segments. And there are no copyright issues to worry about.

TED is basically awesomeness encapsulated.

I've shown a few videos in my classroom for various reasons. At home when I am bored I'll often pull up a video or two. I have yet to be disappointed. (Though sometimes I feel intellectually inferior; they get some amazingly intelligent people to present.)

This video is my favorite. I love it for the obvious reason: the images are absolutely stunning. But I also really appreciate Paul Nicklen's humor and perspective. His taste in music is pretty great too.  This Brandi Carlile song is haunting and perfectly matched to the content of the video.


Since I can't figure out how to embed the video, you'll have to deal with a link:
http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_nicklen_tales_of_ice_bound_wonderlands.html
Watch it. Then watch it again. You'll thank me.

Do you have a favorite TED Talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!