Thursday, July 14, 2011

Delicious Crab Dip

Whew! Yesterday two friends and I threw a bridal shower for my dear friend Angela. It was a wonderful pool side luau with tons of themed food and a delicious signature drink that morphed from a mai tai to what we dubbed "swamp water." After a few too many tastes, I think the bartender forgot an ingredient. Our mai tais turned green!

The following recipe is my mom's crab dip. Every time I host a party I realize that the last time she gave me the recipe I added it to the bottom of a shopping list and threw it away after I was done. Monday when I called her for the recipe (for what must have been the billionth time) she offered to have it tattooed on me. Obviously that isn't something I want to take her up on, but I did realize that I could post a blog about this super simple and yummy treat. Not only would I be sharing it with all of my loyal readers (ha!) but it would also always be here for my reference. Ah, brilliance.

So, with great pleasure, I give you Mom's Crab Dip!

12 ounces crab
16 ounces cream cheese
2 teaspoons powdered Italian dressing mix
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sliced almonds (set some aside to sprinkle on top, if desired)

Usually I use fresh crab, but since I went to the grocery store long after the seafood counter closed, I had to use canned. In all honesty, it was just as good! Also, I like to use one full fat cream cheese and one that is reduced fat. Not that it makes a huge difference, but it makes me feel better when I am shoving large quantities of it into my mouth.

In a mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients (except for a handful of the almonds) together. It should look something like this:


Spoon all of the yummy goodness into a heat safe dish. I generally use two dishes because it does actually freeze pretty well and if your guests are loving it, you can always just bake the second bowl. If there is too much other food (which is always the case when I throw a party), then you can save the remaining dip for another day!


Sprinkle the remaining almonds on top. They will brown slightly and make a nice presentation. Especially if you do more than just dump them on top. As I clearly did in the photo below. Oops. Don't worry. The taste isn't affected by sloppy almond placement.


Bake the crab dip at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Serve with crackers or baguette rounds.


Enjoy!


*Note-  Part of the reason I sprinkle the almonds on top is so that people know they are in there. I worry about nut allergies. If you have one or know that people at your party have them, simply omit the almonds. They add a subtle flavor and a nice crunch, but they aren't imperative to the recipe.

*Note 2: Did you notice the hideous tile in photo one? We're getting an all new (!) kitchen in the very near future. Don't worry. There will be plenty of before and after photos and commentary about our first major renovation project.

Do you over cook for parties? Any kitchen tile out there that is uglier than mine? Have you stripped your kitchen down to the studs and started fresh? Any advice? We start in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!