Friday, July 22, 2011

Cutting for Stone

I'm reading Abraham Verghese's Cutting For Stone. I'm only a little over half way done with it, but I think it is absolutely lovely. It has been quite a while since I've read a book that has made me care about the characters. They are very skillfully developed. I actually got a little teary yesterday when I was reading. That is so unlike me!

Verghese's prose reads like carefully crafted poetry. His writing has this melody to it that makes me swoon. I find myself constantly highlighting phrases that I find to be delightful.


I feel like my words are completely unworthy of his writing, so I'll keep this entry uncharacteristically short.

I don't recommend books to people often. I just don't usually feel strongly enough to pass them along. In this case, I wholeheartedly recommend this book. Run, don't walk to the bookstore. Or, make a cup of tea and save the trouble of driving to the mall by downloading it on your Kindle.

I do promise to post a full report when I finish this little treat. I'll even share some of those lines that have given me chills and invoked a smidge of jealousy lately. It may be a bit, though; I'm savoring this one.

Anyone agree with me on the beauty and power of Cutting for Stone? Or do you have a recommendation for me? I'll need something soon. I can only savor for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!