Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer reading

I have about a billion things to do, but lately I've just been in the mood to read. I managed to leave my Kindle at home last time we were in West Virginia, and that was kind of a bummer. See, when you've got a table, four folding chairs, a bed, and a pack n play as your furniture; a deck of cards (that I just purchased last visit) as your entertainment; almost no shopping; no Internet access and daylight until 9:30 p.m., reading is a perfectly acceptable way to pass the time. (Whereas in real life cleaning around abundant furniture, myriad methods of entertainment, errands, etc. make spending a day reading almost irresponsible.)

Irresponsibility be damned. I have a book list I plan to plow through this summer! (Well, at least partially. This list could possibly take a bit longer than a summer. I do have some responsibilities.)

I'm currently reading two books, so I'll start with them:


Bonk by Mary Roach is for my book club. We decided any book by Mary Roach would be our current selection.


I listened to Gulp, but wanted to read one as well. That's where Bonk came in. I like her humor, but I'm thinking I might get science-of-sexed out. If you know me, you get that.


Our drives to and from West Virginia usually involve an Audible book. Our most recent return trip began Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller. We're not to far into it, but for the most part I'm enjoying it. (I think Beau can take it or leave it, so I may finish it on my own. You know, over my next fourteen or so hours in the car. That's a lot of grocery trips...)

I have these two books on loan from the public library for the next two weeks, so they are next: (An exuberant "yay!!!" to my city for finally getting ebooks!!!)


Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods (In honor of our hikes in the mountains near the AT. Eh, whatever works, right??)


The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker has piqued my interest.

After those, some of these are on deck. I've tried to keep a somewhat respectable balance between nonfiction and fiction, but I think fiction wins again.


Our next book club book is Dan Brown's Inferno. We try to keep it (relatively) light in the summer.


Laura Weisberger's Revenge Wears Prada will be great fun. I do hope it becomes a movie. More Meryl, please. (I wonder if I can read it without seeing Meryl Streep as Miranda. Doubtful. That's OK. It's a pretty great image.)


Leslie Land's 1000 Gardening Questions and Answers. Because I've already killed two hanging plants and my tomatoes are on the way out. A thousand questions might not be enough for me. I have a brown thumb and a gardener's heart. Maybe this will help my thumb realize my heart's desires.


The Husband's Secret by Laine Moriarty sounds very interesting. And scary. What if we don't really know the person we think we know best? Eeek. (Out July 30th.)


I loved Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald and The Paris Wife, so I think Freud's Mistress by Karen Mack and Jennifer Kaufman is right up my alley. (Out July 9th.)


I can't imagine dealing with my mom or anyone I love going though cancer treatment. I didn't even like typing the words. I think if it ever did happen, I'd find solace in books, so The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schawlbe intrigues me. I am 100% positive I'll need to have tissues handy. And I'm not a crier.

I've got others on my list, but these ten will probably be enough to get me started. What do you have on your reading list this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!