Saturday, April 27, 2013

Is there a half step?

Apparently I have a serious problem.

I didn't realize it until just the other day. I mean, yeah, ok, I consume a little bit. Almost every day, but I can stop when I want to. I think.

Oh, geez. Come to think of it, I probably can't just stop cold turkey.

I guess it is a little bit of a problem.

I'd never thought about being a legitimate chocoholic until a brief series of events over the past few days.



Wednesday Angela asked me if my ears were ringing earlier that afternoon when she was talking about me to one of her classes. They weren't, but I was super flattered. I figured she was talking about what a great teacher I am. No. Not so much. She was telling them that while she enjoys chocolate, she's not sure she's ever met anyone who enjoys it quite as much as I do.

She knows lots of people.

Her comment was innocuous enough, but it got me thinking. Do I have a problem? I thought back to Friday night when my dear friend and former roommate came over for dinner. She never goes anywhere empty handed, so she arrived with gifts including chocolates  The chocolates were because, "I know how my girl needs chocolate." Fast forward less than 12 hours to when my neighbor called me specifically to let me know that m&m's were on sale at target. Three bags for eight dollars.

(And yes, I did go pick up three bags. You know, just in case.)

I looked up the 12 step program. I'm not ready to admit that I'm powerless or that my life has become unmanageable. Just don't look at the parenthetical above this paragraph.

About a year ago, Beau was in New Orleans for a class. While there, he stopped at Sucre and picked up a couple of bars of chocolate for me. They looked good. So good I didn't want to eat them. So, they sat for a little while.


When I was in the hospital with Little Man, Beau brought one to me. It was the Candied Violet bar. It was easily the best chocolate I'd ever had. Now, the circumstances might have altered my impression of the Candied Violet bar, but I don't think so.

I might enjoy chocolate a little more than I should. There are worse vices.

What are you known for?

(Photos borrowed from Sucre.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!