Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Spiced Peach Muffins

In theory I love peaches. They are so delicious and fresh and sweet. In practice, though, I don't like to eat them because they are a sticky mess. You'd think I could get over it and just give in to the mess and enjoy every sweet, sticky bite. For some reason I can't do that. 


Because of this I buy peaches thinking I'm just going to bite into them and eat them, but they sit on the counter in the fruit bowl until they are way ripe and then I put them in the refrigerator until figure out what to do with them. I'm like a less confusing, less annoying, less self-conscious version of J. Alfred Prufrock. "Do I dare eat a peach?" No, I daren't.



Are you shaking your head at me? I'm shaking my own head at me. Such a disappointment.

I do realize that peaches can be cut up and eaten that way. Sometimes I do that. When I don't do that, I take those ripe peaches and make these muffins. They almost make my strange peach juice aversion a stroke of genius instead of  weirdness.
 

 

Spiced Peach Muffins
adapted from here

4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
3/4 cups coconut oil warmed to liquid
1 1/4 cups milk
4 peaches peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
rock sugar

Combine the dry ingredients (except the rock sugar) in a large bowl. Stir in the eggs, coconut oil, milk. Add the peaches and gently stir. Fill cupcake wrappers or greased muffin tins with batter. Fill to the top, these a pretty dense and won't rise a whole lot. Sprinkle with small pieces of rock sugar. If you don't have that on hand, granulated sugar is fine.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.

Makes 16 muffins. Give some away or you will eat more than you should.

They are especially dangerous hot, sliced open with a small pat of butter melting on the steamy warm insides.

I think these would be wonderful with nearly any fruit you need to use up.

I also don't eat ribs or corn on the cob in public. (But will tear them up in private...) Please tell me there are other people like me out there. Anybody? Hello?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy! Thanks for stopping by and giving me your feedback!